What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a skin disease caused due rapid multiplication of skin cells following itchy, red and white patches on the skin. Skin cells grow and flake off every 4 weeks with new skin cells replacing the layers of shed skin. In patients with psoriasis this process is rather quick and skin cells start flaking off in days instead of weeks. They accumulate on the surface of the skin forming plax or plaque. It can affect any part of the body but is predominantly seen in elbows, hands, feet, scalp and back. The disease is more prominent in adults but can affect children and teens too.
What are the causes of psoriasis?
It might come as a surprise that the cause of the disease is virtually unknown. But medical experts believe that it is primarily due to an immune system disorder where the system overreacts resulting in hurried precipitation of skin cells with flaking and inflammation. Psoriasis is not a contagious skin disease and does not spread with touch.
What are the signs and symptoms of psoriasis?
The signs and symptoms of psoriasis vary from individual to individual. But some of the most common symptoms noticed are:
- ■ Stiff and swollen joints
- ■ Cracked and dry skin which can bleed
- ■ Small scaly spots
- ■ Skin is red, patchy with a silvery covering
- ■ Thick and pitted nails
What are the types of psoriasis?
- ■ Most common lesions
- ■ Dry skin with redness
- ■ Skin lesions are with plaques covered with silver scales
- ■ Itchy
- ■ Affects soft tissues
- ■ Appears on the scalp
- ■ Redness of skin with silver scales
- ■ Flakes of dead skin on head and shoulders
- ■ Affected areas are itchy
- ■ Can extend beyond hairline
- ■ Affects finger and toenails
- ■ Abnormal nail growth
- ■ Pitting and ridging of nails
- ■ Onycholysis of nails
- ■ Affects armpits, under breasts and genitals
- ■ Red and inflamed skin
- ■ Worsens with friction
- ■ Affects children and young adults
- ■ Triggered by bacterial infection
- ■ Water-drop-shaped sores covered by scaling
- ■ Found on scalp, arms and legs
- ■ Usually go away in a single outbreak or can be repeated
- ■ Inflamed and scaly skin
- ■ Pitted, swollen and discoloured nails
- ■ Painful joints
- ■ Stiffness of joints and serious cases can cause permanent deformity
- ■ Atypical form of psoriasis
- ■ Patches found on fingertips, hands and knees
- ■ Pus-filled blisters
- ■ Red, tender, itchy skin
- ■ Fever and chills
- ■ Diarrhea
- ■ Affects entire body
- ■ Red and peeling rashes
- ■ Not common
What are the treatments available at Satya Skin Hair Clinic?
Satya Skin Hair Clinic prescribes oral medications to effectively manage psoriasis. Oral medications are systemic which are ingested by the patient.
- ■ Anti-metabolite
- ■ Interrupts over production of skin cells
- ■ Near complete remission is noticed in about 70% of the patients
- ■ Immunosuppressant
- ■ Suppresses the faulty cells
- ■ Improvements are noticed in about 90% of the patients
- ■ Retinoid and synthetic vitamin A
- ■ Ingestion is usually in combination with phototherapy
- ■ Improvement and clearance of psoriasis in most patients
All medications are to be ingested as directed by the physician. Medical Experts at Satya Skin Hair Clinic thoroughly evaluate a patient for their medical and family history before prescribing the drugs.
Phototherapy clinic for Psoriasis
Phototherapy for psoriasis involves exposing the skin on a regular basis to ultraviolet light. Phototherapy clinic for Psoriasis in Delhi provides regular sitting of light therapy to their patient to cure the long standing disease. Different type of light therapy involves:
- 1. Ultraviolet Light B (UVB)
- 2. UVA(PUVA)
- 3. Sunlight
There are two types of UVB phototherapy:
Broad band & Narrow band: The narrow band UVB therapy releases a narrow range of light but it is helpful in treating psoriasis at a faster pace. On the other hand broad band UVB phototherapy for psoriasis provides a broad range of light and helps in curing psoriasis in few months. The phototherapy sessions should be given under medical supervision and the patient should be counseled thoroughly before they start up. Little flare up is seen initially but it settles down as the treatment progresses.