What is Acne? Acne is medically known as acne vulgaris. It is usually harmless and treatable. Tiny pores connect to the oil glands situated just under the skin. Small canals or follicles are connected to the glands through these pores. Sebum is an oily liquid secreted by the glands which carry the dead skin cells to the outer surface of the skin. When the follicles get blocked, oil accumulates under the skin pimples in the skin which are called acne. Good and bad strains of bacteria determine the rate of persistence and severity of an acne.
- ■ Whiteheads : Whiteheads are closed comedones occurring under the skin and are very small
- ■ Pustules : Pustules are small, red in colour with yellow or white pus centres. They are clearly visible at the surface of the skin.
- ■ Blackheads The follicle of the skin comes unplugged due to vigorous scrubbing and appear on the surface of the skin.
- ■ Papules : Papules are pink in colour and are cone shaped, visible on the surface of the skin.
- ■ Nodules and cysts Nodules are hard lesions, inflamed and ensconced deep into the layer of the skin. Cysts are filled with pus and soft lesions and are also lodged deep into the skin.
- ■ Back acne : Back acne or bacne are outbreaks that first appear in puberty on the back which has a large area of skin and a lot of oil secretion.
- ■ Acne conglobata : Acne conglobata is rare and can affect any part of the body. It is considered as a fusion of acne pustules and nodules. It is a result of a sudden eruption of a dormant acne.
What are its causes?
Hormonal imbalances Sebaceous glands are enlarged and over-stimulated due to androgens which cause acne.
Follicle shed- As a normal process dead skin cells are expelled to the skin’s surface through the follicle. When there are over-stimulated sebaceous glands, shedding of cells is quicker, plugging the follicle. This plugging incite the growth of bacteria which result in acne formations.
Over secretion of sebum Over-stimulation of sebaceous glands by the androgens cause an extra production of sebum causing clogging of the follicles. This combined with skin bacteria form acne.
Inflammation or chemotaxis White blood cells attack unwanted bacteria causing swollen and painful pimples. This process of elimination invites an inflammatory response or chemotaxis.
Medications Oral antibiotics and contraceptives are commonly prescribed to treat moderate to severe acne. Oral antibiotic lowers the concentration of P.acne or Propionibacterium acnes found in the skin which rapidly multiply within the blocked follicles. Oral contraceptives help in the suppression of overactive glands but tend to cause side effects in women with clotting disorders, smokers, women with a history of migraines and in women above 35 years of age.
Satya’s Magic Ac peel Satya Skin Hair Clinic effectively uses magic ac peel to minimize the shedding of cells and enabling the breakdown of whiteheads and blackheads. Salicylic acid is commonly used as a fungicide and successfully sloughs off the epidermis and prevents blocking of pores. It also stimulates growth of new and healthy cells. 2 – 3 sessions of active Magic AC peel is ideal for the treatment of acne and oily skin and skin affected by seborrheic dermatitis.